“I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you.”

Psalm 32:8 (NIV)




Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Weekends in India

Some weekends we travel and others we stay here in Coimbatore.

This weekend was a “rest weekend,” but there was not much resting being done.

Friday night we went a Gujarati celebration. We ate food then danced all night long. All the girls taught us how to dance. The celebration lasts for 9 days. The girls were telling us how fun the dancing is on the last night. Too bad we will be out of town.

Here are some of the awesome girls who taught us their dances:




It was so fun!

Saturday a few of us took the public bus to go shopping.
On the way there the bus was not too bad.
On the way back it was quite crowded
*I did not get a picture when it was the most crowded because I couldn’t move

Saturday night I went to a professor’s house where we learned how her family celebrates Puja, a Hindu holiday.

I got back to the apartment and was reading peacefully in my room when I heard a scream. There was definitely a GIANT cockroach in our kitchen. Read previous post for details.

Sunday I went to church. The church is called All Souls and is located pretty close to the apartment.
Sunday was also Gandhi’s birthday, so the sermon was based on non-violence and love for enemies.


27 “But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

32 “If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. 33 And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that. 34 And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, expecting to be repaid in full. 35 But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. 36 Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.
Luke 6:27-36

After church I got to Skype with my family for a little bit. It was so good to talk to them!
The upstairs apartment has internet at times so that is a huge blessing!

Later that day I went to a home goods store to pick up a few things.

Then I watched Slumdog Millionaire for the first time. It was so cool to understand things that I would not have before coming here.

After the movie I tried to do a little homework.

When I got tired of home work I made spaghetti. It actually did not turn out too bad. Making homemade spaghetti sauce it not as hard as I thought it would be.

Sunday night the assistant directors had us over for a yummy dinner of lentil soup. They also had a Bollywood movie for us to watch but I decided to do homework instead.

When homework was finished I took a shower, read my Bible, wrote in my journal, and went to bed.

Because of Puja, our last day of school for the week is Tuesday.
We leave on Wednesday to go to Mudumalai and Ooty. We are going on a safari and visiting an organization called Freedom Firm which works with girls rescued from human trafficking.

When we get back we are going to do home stays with families from All Souls church for the weekend.


Thank you for all your prayers for me and my group. A few things that have been a struggle lately:

Health- many people have been getting sick

Communication- Communication with professors has been an issue

Patience- Everything here takes twice as long as you expect it to… so I have to learn to stop expecting and just go with it. Not only do things take a long time, but suddenly what should be simple things are made so complicated. Patience is something I am working on.


Hope you all are enjoying fall because I sure miss it!

1 comment:

  1. Prayers your way honey! I will add safety to the list since you are on a safari! I am your mom you know.

    ReplyDelete