“I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you.”

Psalm 32:8 (NIV)




Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A trip to Chennai

Friday night we boarded a train.




Our destination was the state capital, Chennai.



After bug bites, snoring men, and 7 hours, we made it.





The first day we went to an organization called Forward. Forward strives to empower women and give them the resources they need to survive in a male dominate culture. The ISP leaders know the woman who founded the organization from their previous trips to India. The woman is amazing. Her testimony was heartbreaking and heartwarming all at the same time. She was in an abusive relationship for ten years. Instead of letting her hurtful past hold her back, she followed God’s calling to help the oppressed women of India, many who are going through similar abuse experiences. She took us to a slum where many women and children were anticipating our arrival.










They gave us a traditional welcome. Jasmine necklaces, bangles, and face stuff that I do not know the name of.




They shared with us the different groups. Through small loans the women are able to become independent and support themselves and their children.
They also shared the different ways they worship.



Then, we went to St. Thomas Mount. St. Thomas is one of the twelve apostles. At the top of this hill is where they say he was murdered.





We stopped for a tea/coffee break.


Then went to the site where St. Thomas was buried.
St. Thomas Basilica




Our last stop for the night was the beach.


Sunday-
We went to Mahabalipuram





That evening we had free time to go shopping.
Then, once again, got back on a train where we laughed until we cried and tried our best to fall asleep.


I keep forgetting to post my mailing address, so here it is:

Brooklyn Walker
Bishop Appasamy College of Arts and Sciences
India Studies Program
#129, Race Course
Coimbatore, INDIA 641 018


Also, here is the link for the India Studies Program: http://indiastudiesprogram.blogspot.com/

Check out the post about the culinary class! By far my favorite class!

4 comments:

  1. all I can say is, "wow" all looks so incredible Brooklyn You are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooklyn, you did it again. I feel like I am there with you. I researched Chennai and now I will never forget it. Thank you for the pictures and captions. (As you know I like the pictures)!
    XO Love you bunches!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brooklyn, I can't get over all this...I'm amazed and proud as a peacock!!! I just can't get over it...I read all this and think what maturity and insight and courage you have. When I read your blog I often think of how proud Grandma Donna must be as she sits with Jesus in Heaven and watches her amazing Grand-daughter make an amazing mark in this world. Keep going!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice information. Thanks for the sharing.

    Book chennai shirdi tour package | shirdi tour package from chennai by flight and Avail best offers on travel Packages at vasantkamal.com

    ReplyDelete