“I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you.”

Psalm 32:8 (NIV)




Thursday, October 27, 2011

Happy Diwali


Yesterday was a holiday called Diwali. I don’t know the details of why it is celebrated but the 4th graders at my internship said on Diwali a Hindu goddess killed and demon or an evil spirit. It is called the festival of lights representing light defeating dark and evil. Even though it is a Hindu holiday, basically everyone celebrates. The Hindu religion is deeply rooted in the culture. For this festival new clothes are bought, sweets are made, and fire crackers are set off all day/night.

Last night our group went to a student’s house that goes to our college to celebrate. The fire crackers here are nothing like the home. You know the big ones that are illegal for us to have? Well in India, those and many more are set off next to houses, cars, trees, and power lines. Imagine a whole line of houses setting off these fireworks. I don’t think my ear drums have recovered yet. People started setting off crackers two days before Diwali and as I am writing this it still sounds like bombs are going off outside. 4th of July is going to seem like nothing compared to Diwali.



Diwali also marked the exact halfway point of my stay in India. I am not sure how I feel about it being halfway over. Of course, I am excited to go home, but at the same time I get sad when I think about leaving. What also makes it difficult is our two week travel at the end. We leave Coimbatore Decemember 2nd. Whoa! Just over a month away. I know I need to not worry about the future and enjoy each moment, but I cannot help but think how fast the first half flew by. I really love it here. I have developed a love for the people, culture, food, and so much more.

I have developed relationships within the ISP group and with the people of India that I will have a hard time leaving behind. I am surrounded by people who inspire me daily to learn and grow in more ways than I thought possible.

I have gotten accustom to living the simple life. What I call the simple life is actually a privileged life in Indian standards. Walking everywhere, limited internet, and having six outfits to pick from each day is something I have also learned to enjoy. The simplicity allows me to spend more time with God and with people, which is how I think it should be.

Lately, I have been finding myself craving Indian dishes…I never thought that would happen. I especially love the food we make in cooking class! Last week we made 8 different types of Dosa and 5 chutneys. I know most of you probably don’t know what that those are. Google it. Classic Indian breakfast. My favorite is plain dosa and coconut chutney. Don’t worry I am going to bring the ingredients home to make. After jet lag wears off everyone is invited over for dosa.

I have learned so much here and I thank God everyday for this experience. I am looking forward o the next half and cannot wait to see what is in store.

1 comment:

  1. My heart is bursting with pride for you!! I love how much you are loving it there and also, embracing the culture and enjoying the simplicity. That is such a gift...never lose it! I love you and I enjoy reading this blog..it makes my day, every time!!!

    ReplyDelete