“I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you.”

Psalm 32:8 (NIV)




Monday, October 24, 2011

God's Own Country

Saturday morning at 5 am (well an Indian 5 AM, which means 5:30+) we boarded a bus and headed to the state of Kerala. Kerala’s nickname is God’s Own Country and is famous for its mountains and beauty. The bus ride was bumpy and long, but worth it.
We listened to some great speakers, ate good food, watch a Kathakali dance, and went on a boat tour.

On the way back there was a huge thunder storm and lots of rain. Let me tell you about monsoon season here.

To begin I will tell you a story-

On Wednesdays I go to an internship at a local school. This particular Wednesday had been a little difficult to say the least. My day at school ended with a huge confusion with which school bus I was to ride to get me back near college. Long story short it took all the bus drivers, bus helpers, and a few teachers to decide that I needed to ride bus #13, which I was almost sure was NOT the bus I was suppose to ride because I was told bus number 11 by my internship advisor. Thankfully, I eventually made it back. I had a little ways to walk back to the apartments and was looking forward to having time to just think and relax and clear my head after a long day. This Wednesday at about 4:00 marked the start of monsoon season. It poured! The most rain I have ever seen! If it has started 5 minutes earlier I could have took cover at college, but I was already on the race course walking path and just wanted to get home. After all it couldn’t last too long right? Along the path there were overhangs for when things like this happened, but I was not comfortable stranding around with a bunch of men. I tried taking cover under a tree, but that didn’t help for very long. So basically I walked 15 minutes in POURING rain. I’m pretty sure everyone that I passed hanging out under the overhangs got a good laugh. By the ime I got he the apartments, the streets were flooded up to my calves. Walking in to the apartment building, the ladies at the entrance laughed at me, wrang out my scarf and attempted to dry me off with a towel. Yep, so that was my introduction to monsoon season.

Also, later that week I was woken up by the loudest thunder I have ever heard. Seriously, I thought it was the end of the world and Jesus was returning or something. Not only was the thunder SO loud but he lightning was crazy bright. It was really scary, but kinda fun.

This Wednesday is a huge holiday here called Diwali. Post about that hopefully coming soon. Also Wednesday is the halfway point of the trip…crazy!

5 comments:

  1. Brooklyn you just continue to amaze and crack me up! I love reading your blog posts and picturing you doing all the things you are describing. I just love you and miss you TONS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second what Syd said and must say that in Uganda one time I was also awakened by the loudest thunder and brightest lightning ever and thought the EXACT same thing. I was just sure Jesus was coming back. hahaha!!! :) IT's crazy huh. Gosh I miss you real bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, half way.....! It seems like you have been away for a very long time. Even though we already talked about getting caught in the pouring rain, it is alot of fun to read about. You are incredible my dear daughter! Lots of Love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like you share so well what you see and experience! Thank you for taking the time to update those of us here praying for you to continue to live, love and learn during your time in India!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that your mind goes to Jesus coming back!!! You have a beautiful heart and I can't wait to hug your neck!!!!

    ReplyDelete